OpenVidu Call: AWS c5.4xlarge >> 800-900 users possible?

Hello everybody,

does anyone got experience with some real usage performance data?! We are testing the pro version at the Moment and want we only had some small tests like 20-30
People at the same time…

But: My wish is:

• 20-30 session at the same the Running
  • with 20-30 people in each session
  • video and audio calls (no recording)

So in total Maximum 900 people at the same time?

Ist that possible?

I have ready this article here:

But it would be so helpful for me, if you can give me any information about this (because we are working hard on a conference app for German companies and schools)

I have installed already the c5.4xlarge instance and we had 10% cpu usage with only 16 people in only one session?!

It would be so great to get some infos about that!

See you

Bye

As you can see in load tests, a video conference platform like OpenVidu needs important computational resources.

First of all, it is important to define the type of video conferences you will need. For example, what is the expected number of participants in every video conference? 10, 20, 30? All participants will be publishing audio and video at the same time? Or only one of them (the teacher) will be publishing?

Usually, the load increases linearly with the number of “video streams” managed. In a video conference with 4 participants publishing at the same time, the platform have to manage 4 x 4 = 16 streams. But if only one is publishing, then the number of streams is 1 for publishing a 3 for subscribing = 4 streams.

To have an idea, the following table indicates the maximum number of simultaneous video conferences you can have in a 4 CPU machine depending on the number of participants if all are publishing at the same time:

Participants Video Conferences
2 70
3 32
4 19
5 12
6 9
7 7
20 1

So, if you want to have 20-30 sessions at the same time, you will need 20-30 machines with 4 CPUs each.

If you want to know the exact numbers in video conferences with one publisher and other participants only viewing we can perform load testing for you under our commercial support services.

Regards

1 Like