Performance on 1:N sessions

Hello, first I would like to congratulate you for the excellent work with OpenVidu. It’s amazing how much you have managed to make implementations and documentation simple.

I built entirely an application that allows a more dynamic classroom. In the application, we have 1 teacher transmitting (as PUBLISHER) to N students (as SUBSCRIBERS).

Now we would like to have a better sense of the scalability and capacity of OpenVidu (and our application). With a dual-core machine how many students could we have in a room, subscribing to the teacher’s broadcast? What if we had 2 teachers transmitting to the N students?

1 Like

Hello @Levi_Nobrega,

You will have to execute some load testing by yourself as different participant combinations between PUBLISHER and SUBSCRIBERS can have different load profile.

For reference, you can have the following simultaneous sessions in a 4 CPU machine depending on the number or participants (All of the publishing media):

Session participants Concurrent sessions
2 70
3 32
4 19
5 12
6 9
7 7
20 1

In this table you can see how many “subscribers streams” can be managed in a server at the same time:

(table is taken from this post)

You can do some math… but the best way to know is executing some performance tests by yourself with the specific topology you want.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for this. I will do some tests and post here for future references.

1 Like