Multiple pro node licensing

We are potentially going to deploy multiple pro nodes to accommodate more composed recordings. My question is do we need to have a separate license key for each machine or will the same license just report the extra cores?

Hello Cameron,

With the current implementation, OpenVidu PRO doesn’t distribute COMPOSED recordings among media nodes.

So COMPOSED recording is not scalable at this moment. We are working on it right now. It will be available in a few weeks.

And a single license key is the way to go. Each OpenVIdu Pro cluster will be identified by its own cluster ID.

Thanks. This was going to be another question but I was still looking for an answer elsewhere before posting.

Hi Micael,

you said, COMPOSED recordings are not scalable at this moment - because COMPOSED recordings run on the master node, in contrast to INDIVIDUAL recordings, running on media nodes?

I have several questions to this topic:

1. Is “it will be available in a few weeks” realistic for scaleable COMPOSED recordings?
  2. What about the performance hunger of the COMPOSED recording - it depends on the number of shown streams in a custom layout - or it depends on the ffmpeg-capturing in a chrome instance itself?
    e.g.: 1 video stream, 2 audio streams < ressources < 3 video streams, 3 audio streams?
  3. What way is recommended for simultanous playback of INDIVIDUAL recordings? Is there a nativ solution vom OpenVidu?

Thanks for your answers!
(I have to figure out if OpenVidu fits our requirements for production)

We are improving recording stuff right now. Fixing bugs and implementing new features. This feature is on our short time roadmap.

Chrome and ffmpeg consumes a lot of resources. Then, if you have too much videos, more resources are consumed.

INDIVIDUAL recording is designed for later composition using ffmpeg or other tool. There are some messages in the forum with some code to do it. For example:

But you implement a web player if you want. There is no “official” player for INDIVIDUAL recordings.

May I ask another question?

We want to use OpenVidu for mobile video inspections - a recording from the inspection is needed for legal documentation. We want to use COMPOSED recording - because the video should be available immediately at the end of the inspection.

During the inspection it could be necessary to pause the recording and continue it a few minutes later with the same recording video. I tested the QUICK_START_RECORDING feature - hoping there is a way just to pause a recording and continue it later.

But even on QUICK_START_RECORDING the recordings/start method always creates a new folder and a new file. Are there some future plans or a workaround for making our scenario possible?

Recording pause is not in our roadmap, but we will evaluate it for the future. Thank you for suggestion.

Hi Micael,

at the moment I am implementing recording features to our intranet app. The recording will be stopped and restarted several times. Is a recording pause function meanwhile on your roadmap? If not I have to start a lot of work to bring the videos together after the session has end. So I want to be sure, a pause feature will not be released after I finished my work :wink:

Best regards

Stefan