MediaSoup / OpenVidu Enterprise Questions

Can you please clarify plans around licensing and use of openvidu with mediasoup? (Openvidu enterprise)

I read the announcement on openvidu 2.19.0 and am glad to see mediasoup is being integrated.

From the OV team’s own statements going back over a year, it was clear that MS was pulling well ahead of Kurento and for the primary purposes of video conferencing had big benefits.

That said, I had expected the core product of OpenVidu to remain free to use, that is–a solid signaling application that can operate the media plane even after the product transitioned to use Media Soup.

Given Kurento is clearly not a wise choice to power video conferencing going forward, and OV focuses on this use case, it seems like the engine should go into all editions–including the CE edition. Otherwise, CE will become focused on relative minority use cases such as security cameras.

My main concern is that MediaSoup is not going to be made available to run with OpenVidu.

I respect the need to be paid for hard work. However, some amount of the utility of OpenVidu has come from community open source contributions both in the form of code, issues and documentation.

It seems possibly unexpected that that value would be paired with what has become the clear winner among media servers but that would then require paid licensing.

I believe Media Soup will be available for Openvidu CE also
with least feature Like with KMS

My suggestion is that Openvidu should give for access KMS and Media Soup at same time
So user can use both on user case
But now you can use Only one media type
But above way we can have both KMS And Media Soup

I believe Media Soup will be available for Openvidu CE also

This is not the impression I got from the announcement, which reads:

In the future mediasoup support in OpenVidu will become a commercial feature (more on that later), but it will be free as it remains in beta.

Thank you for your suggestions about OpenVidu.

OpenVidu always will have a feature rich open source edition. We are commited to maintain Kurento as a healthy project. In fact we are working right now on updating it to a modern GStreamer version.

In open core products is important to maintain the equilibrium between a feature rich open source edition and interesting features in the commercial ones so the project as a whole is sustainable in the long term.

If OpenVidu CE was an interesting project before 2.19 version, then it is exactly the same after it.

In any case, we will evaluate your suggestions and maybe in the future we change our decision.

Thank you for being part of the OpenVidu community and suggest improvements.

Regards

I totally understand the need to have a sustainable product. So I fully appreciate that.

I agree OV CE is an interesting project, it has a lot to it.

I am disappointed that the engine has been changed out and made only an enterprise product though.

If I had known this was the plan, I would have considered using another signaling server option.

The product is called OpenVidu. MediaSoup is open source. Kurento will be far behind a year from now. It seems reasonable that the improved engine should be a part of the base open source project.