Deploying with SSL Issues

Greetings,

I will like to thank the team for a great Job for openvidu.

I have tried many deployments scenarios all to no avail.

Though the team tried their best to assist me, I could not figure it out, especially the SSL part.

I think the team needs to elaborate on how SSL should be installed, especially for letsencrypt and owncert, Explanation of how to deploy SSL for aws EC2 ubuntu instance on-premise deployment,

Example:

I create aws Linux instance,

I install docker and docker-compose on it.

I install certbot

[SCENARIO 1]

I create a subdomain on my hosting and generate letsencrypt for it on my host;

Then use the zone editor to add “A” record with my aws instance public IP

Then generate a letsencrypt certificate for the subdomain on my instance using certbot.

Then edit .env to match my subdomain details and start openvidu after enabling the ports as said on the documentation.

Then run docker with required parameters.

[Doesnt work with the SSL generated but works with selfsigned]

[SCENARIO 2 new instance]

In zone editor, I add “A” record with my aws instance public IP and a name without creating a subdomain

Then generate a letsencrypt certificate for the name on my instance.

Then edit .env to match my subdomain details and start openvidu after enabling the ports as said on the documentation.

Then run docker with required parameters.

[Timed out on the browser]

[SCENARIO 3 new instance]

Get owncert free from comodo that last 30days for testing

put the files (.cert and .key) in owncert folder

and edit .env file to match the details

[Browser keeps timing out]

[SCENARIO 4 new instance]

Try working with the angular deployment with call back server, I was able to use it generate the https to the openvidu server and get the wss: but the openvidu wss complain of SSL authority.

[SCENARIO 5 new instance]

Trying the aws deployment with an AWS stack, when I add SSL for my zone editor name and put the SSL dir from comodo, the installation was successful, but the server details supplied on output doesn’t work.

[SCENARIO 6 new instance]

Tried deploying pro version with the 15days free trial, deployed successfully but without ssl as I think that is the only thing I keep doing wrong. It works well but without SSL.

I see a great future for openvidu and its application but the configuration is a hassle.

I understand the feelings of the guy that says he wants to pay for openvidu to be configured for him, right now I am having that feeling.

I have currently finished editing the angular app and have made all the needed changes. The only thing I need is the server configured with ssl on it, to show the clients what we can do with openvidu and look at migrating to a pro version.

If there is anything or anyone that can help me configure openvidu on an aws instance I don’t mind working together with them even if there is cost implication that is not exorbitant.

Thank you and regards.

Hello @hsmltuge I will help you we can connect

Deploying the server with SSL is my only OpenVidu nightmare as well.

@umargarga i solved this nightmare many times for many peoples if need help just ping me i will be there

1 Like

@hsmltuge we have created the instructions trying to be as clear as possible.

Please suggest the changes in documentation to avoid issues. You can contribute with a PR to the documentation or with a PDF with explanations and we will improve our documents.

Regards

@hsmltuge we have created the instructions trying to be as clear as possible.
Please suggest the changes in documentation to avoid issues. You can contribute with a PR to the documentation or with a PDF with explanations and we will improve our documents.
Regards

I’m agree with @micael.gallego . Deployment automation for everyone is not an easy task and there are a lot of corner cases that make deployments for some people a hard task. A PDF or a PR showing your problems and how you solve it would help a lot OpenVidu Community. It can be described in documentation.

Your HTTPS_PORT is setted as 443 and uncommented in .env ?

Have you tried generate a wildcard SSL cert, to match all subdomains?

Can you run " ls /opt/openvidu/certificates/live/* " in shell?

Its also helpfull if you can post nginx logs.

Regards.

I solved this issue a week ago please close it

1 Like

What was the isue? If you put it, I can mark it as solution :slight_smile:

@cruizba its dns resolution problem