Blur filter not working anymore on Chromium based browsers

Lately I’ve recognized that using the blur filter doesn’t work anymore in Chromium based browsers. Maybe this is only an issue with some devices or some operating systems since I can’t get it to work on desktop Linux but it is working on some Android phones.

This is what happens:

1. Go to OpenVidu Call OpenviduCall
  2. Click “Join”
  3. Click the background effects button
  4. Activate the blurred background
  5. Nothing happens

Meanwhile, the following appears in the JS console:

Animation started: {htmlElement: video#source_video_undefined_c8687aed-76ec-4d02-bf6c-6119fbf99da1.OT_video-element.camera-type, width: 640, height: 480} {type: 'blur'} 
Error playing video with Virtual Background applied DOMException: The play() request was interrupted because the media was removed from the document.
main.502643f4c515a381.js:1 Error applying filter for Stream undefined DOMException: The play() request was interrupted because the media was removed from the document.
ERROR Error: Uncaught (in promise): AbortError: The play() request was interrupted because the media was removed from the document.
WebGL: INVALID_VALUE: texImage2D: no video
WebGL: too many errors, no more errors will be reported to the console for this context.

The error with “texImage2D” appears 256 times.
I can reproduce this issue also with other OpenVidu apps, even with my own one.

Strangely enough, this does not happen when using Firefox.

Any ideas?

Virtual Background filters are working right in demos.openvidu.io in the latest version of Google Chrome (121). Both for Blur and Background Image:

Did you try this with a Linux client? For me (on Linux) it’s still not working in the latest Chrome version.

Yes, tried on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04), Windows and MacOS.