Seemless connection between two instances of openVidu call app

Hi all,
I am working on deploying multiple instances of openVidu call app on private servers (i.e. no internet). Imagine there is intranet A and intranet B. Clients in intranet A can call each other and so are the clients in intranet B. Under some circumstances, intranet A has connectivity to intranet B. When such happens, they should work like a single server, almost like a bridge.

Is this possible?

If I understood correctly, you have two instances of OpenVidu. One over intranet A, and another OpenVidu instance over intranet B. And you want to communicate (sometimes), users from A to B in combination?

Combine sessions between instances is not officially supported by OpenVidu CE. But maybe you can hack a little bit combining sessions of both, but I am not sure if this would work.

Regards

EDIT:

What i would do if you have enough machines, is to deploy 3 OpenVidu CE servers:

• One OpenVidu server in intranet A.
  • Another OpenVidu server in intranet B.
  • A temporal OpenVidu server connected to both networks for those special cases where users from A and B will communicate.

Obviously, your app should have the capability to communicate accordingly depending on the server you are using, and manage each session individually per server.

The scenario is as follows. Imagine these networks are mobile and out in the field where there are not internet connections. Sometimes, they will have connectivity between themselves. Is there a way that one server becomes a “master” and the rest become “slaves” so that they can work as one? I am not familiar enough with the underlying webRTC protocol to understand how this might work.

The best approach to make it work is the following:

Imagine you have networks A and B.

When networks A and B have connectivity between them, use the OpenVidu server of network A as the only OpenVidu server and just forget the OpenVidu Server of network B. Only when there is no connectivity between networks, the users of network B will use the server in network B.

You don’t have to connect OpenVidu servers in any way. Just use the same OpenVidu server for all users when networks are connected.

Regards

2 Likes