Native iOS / openvidu-ionic wouldn't join running video call

Hello everybody,

I am currently developing a native iOS app for video calls. We host the openvidu v2.15.0 on our server.

Currently I am running into the issue, where the iOS App participant is not able to play remote video/audio after joining the running video call, when there are 7 or more participants.

In the openvidu-ionic demo app running with the demo openvidu server
https://demos.openvidu.io/openvidu-call)
I experienced almost same issue with only one difference. The app crashed while trying to join the session.

Does anybody has experience with openvidu and native ios app with 7 or more participants? I am trying to investigate and understand what exactly is responsible for this behavior. I suppose the iOS WebRTC library is responsible for this behavior.

Any ideas?

Thank you for help or advice!

Hi,

Probably the iOS device is running into performance issues when processing more than 7 real-time media streams at the same time. If you see no problems when displaying 6 or less videos, and always reach the upper limit with 7 or more videos, I think we can confirm a CPU/memory problem when rendering that many videos in the same view. It could be probably improved depending on A) the quality of the videos (resolution, framerate. The lesser, more videos will be able to be rendered), B) the layout and the view behavior itself. For example, when implementing a web application in OpenVidu, if each video element component is attached to other HTML components and has complex behaviors, the web page will support less videos than if the layout is simpler. From one web page to others, we have seen layouts with a maximum number of 10 videos to layouts with 100 videos.

So it’s really about tweaking the quality of the published videos and the application’s layout until you obtain a satisfactory result.