Integration of pre-recorded video with RTC

Hi!

My second point was actually using a “feature” already implemented and available, but not documented. You can use the IP Camera API to publish a video file (stored and accessible by your media server) into the session. It is actually a very simple process: when publishing and IP Camera through REST API (OpenVidu Docs), in parameter “rtspUri” you can set an absolute path to a video file accessible by Kurento, like this:

"rtspUri": "file:///opt/my-video-file.mp4"

You must make sure Kurento Media Server has read access to that exact path, of course. Otherwise an error (and I’m guessing a pretty obscure one) will be triggered.

But this solution still leaves us with one limitation: the OpenVidu API does not allow to directly handle video playback from the server side. As the API was originally intended for IP cameras (where it makes no sense to pause or rewind the video playback), there are no methods to fast forward/rewind/pause/restart/navigate the video. It will simply play from start to end.

To manage the video playback as Kurento’s PlayerEndpoint allows (PlayerEndpoint (Kurento Client API)) you would have to do so directly calling Kurento’s API. OpenVidu does not exposes these methods through its API.

Regards.

1 Like