Audio input has all of a sudden become quiet on android device

All of a sudden when doing a 2 way call the audio from an android device is extremely quiet on the call, the iphone on the same call is perfectly fine, any idea?

In this case the android phone is the second user to join the stream, i’m going to try the reverse.

UPDATE

It’s the same on the reverse, the android input is quiet, and it seems to echo on the android as well

UPDATE 2

Ok it’s not just on a 2 way even on a one way stream, i recorded on an android and the sound is extremely quiet but on iphone it’s fine. This doesn’t make any sense, nothing has changed, it’s the same openvidu version as before and the code on my side hasn’t changed

UPDATE 3

Now this is weird, on 2 android phones the sound input seems to be picked up at the top of the phone on the earpiece and not the microphone at the bottom?

this.OVPublisher = this.OV.initPublisher("publisher-video", {
          videoSource: true,
          audioSource: true,
          publishAudio: true,
          publishVideo: true,
          frameRate: 24,
          mirror: true

});

This code has been the same the entire time but somehow now is using the wrong device for the audio input on android? I don’t see how an audio output can take input? But when i speak into the top of the phone i can hear it on the subscriber end, when i talk into the bottom of the phone i can barely hear it

Ok so this is weird!

I’m basically using openvidu browser javascript inside an angular application.

It all works perfectly when In development mode but when I build into production mode these strange issues start to happen on android devices.

So somehow this is related to the angular app rather than vidu itself!

Nope I was wrong it’s now doing it in dev mode.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It’s literally only happening on android devices in chrome, it’s almost like it’s using the earpiece as an input device it’s really odd

This only actually seems to now be happening on Galaxy s9 plus, i’m wondering if the phone itself is broken as it seems to be ok on a p20 now

UPDATE

And now it’s working fine again??? This makes no sense!! Could this be down to the vidu server itself, or dns issues or what?

I want to try having the server run directly on an ip instead of a domain name but how do you use SSL on just an IP?

This is getting extremely annoying now.

This only seems to happen when there is a 2 way call, one side is always coming through a lot quieter than the other side.

It thought it was mostly when speaking into an android device the sound comes through the other end quiet compared to when the other end speaks, but it happens on any device if you’re the first publisher the other side can’t hear properly…

So

Android: first publisher
iPhone: second publisher

Android: can hear the person from iPhone fine
iPhone: the person on the android device sounds very quiet

And if the roles are reversed it’s the same Here in reverse, the initial publisher becomes very quiet from the other side

I’ve found the issue! On android phones there are multiple volume controls, one of them is the media volume and somehow by default even if the video is playing in the browser it doesn’t actually control the video element it controls the phone overall media audio output.

This is a problem if people don’t have a clue this exists and have turned their media volume down at any point, but I don’t think there is any way to control the device media volume via the browser?

Thank you for sharing with us the root cause of the issue.

Regards