2.14 > 2.15 Upgrade Issue

I tried to upgrade one of our Pro instances to 2.15 from 2.14. The OpenVidu node appears to have upgraded without an issue, except now there is a “realm” password popup that appears. When trying to access /inspector.

The Media Node launches a media node controller service on port 3000, but I do not see where to configure the media node now in the OpenVidu server as there is no usual Kurento port 8888 open. It appears as though a step is missing.

Hi @jcdmacleod if you follow the instructions from https://docs.openvidu.io/en/2.15.0/openvidu-pro/deployment/upgrading/#migrating-from-2140-to-2150 you need to open some ports before.

Open port 3000 for Media Nodes (Port 8888 should be opened too) and ports 9200 and 5044 in OpenVidu Server. Media Nodes are now provisioned by OpenVidu.

When you add your media-nodes through Inspector, with ws://<media-node-ip>:8888/kurento, Kurento Media Server will be deployed automatically by OpenVidu using the media node controller.

Also, you can configure in your .env file the property KMS_URIS=["ws://<media-node-ip:8888/kurento"]. This will deploy kurento-media-server automatically too

So, it’s normal you don’t see a kurento-media-server running in your media-node. OpenVidu Pro deploy this for you with some other services necessary for metrics and logs in ElasticSearch and Kibana.

Yes, thanks, I saw that and had opened the additional ports.

I just jumped the gun a bit and did the usual start the media server, check port 8888, no port 8888.

So this threw me off as it is a change between 2.14 and 2.15.

John

So @jcdmacleod, is it working for you now? :slight_smile:

Yes it is. I stopped when I didn’t see port 8888 or the other containers load. I then checked the 2.15 install doc for the media server, and that threw me off more, as it is wrong, it states the following when actually only the media controller loads/starts. I only continued when I read that the media server is installed by the Open Vidu node. I think this doc below and the upgrade needs to be reworded.

3.3) Execution :link:

To start the Media Node execute this command:

./media_node start

All docker images for services will be downloaded (only the first time) and executed.

The first part of the log shows how docker-compose command executes all services:

Creating kms_kms_1   ... done
Creating kms_nginx_1 ... done

Hi @jcdmacleod,

Thanks for the doc fix! We will update the doc today.