Problems with iPad

I am testing my app with several devices and browsers and am consistently having issues on iPad. These issues happen almost every time, but it’s not always the same issue. Sometimes the publishers local video will be blank or missing. Sometimes other participants will see a blank/missing video or frozen image for the iPad users stream. This happens for participants on both iPads and MacBooks when viewing the iPad users stream. I’m testing with two iPads in my session and both have the same issues. The streams from MacBook users have no issues. The iPads are running Safari.

I see others having issues with iPads. Are my issues known as well? Is there any solution other than not supporting iOS? I see Chrome/Firefox is not supported on iOS as well so I guess that’s not an option. Any other advice?

Thank you.

It seems Safari in iOS have some important bugs in WebRTC stack. Newer versions seems to behave better as reported by users.

Can you test with other services like whereby.com to see if it works better?

Hi Micael. I am using the latest version of iOS/Safari. The iPads are actually brand new.

In my app, users will start and stop publishing several times during a session. After some more testing I’ve found that the issue of the local publisher video not displaying only happens after a user stops publishing and then starts again. So the 1st time they join a session and start publishing, their video looks ok. But when they stop publishing and start publishing again, their video is missing. This is not a problem on macOS.

Does that help track down the issue? Like maybe something about unpublish that isn’t working the same on iOS/Safari?

I can test whereby.com but I figured since my app is actually working until users stop/re-start publishing that probably won’t tell us anything. But let me know if you still want me to try that.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: I’ve updated my app to manually remove the video element and that seems to have resolved the issue of a blank video showing for the publisher on iPad. So it does seem to be some kind of issue with the unpublish method.

I am still having issues with subscribers getting a blank or frozen video for streams from iPad users.

@micael.gallego I just tested a Google Meet session between my Mac and iPad and had no issues. To be clear, the issue I’m still having in my app is that sometimes subscribers see a blank or frozen video for streams from iPad users.

Is there anything else I can do or is this something you are looking into?

Thanks again.

Hello @Adam,

I can imagine that you’re testing your own webapp built with openvidu and you’re not using ionic or react-native right?

In this case, do you have the same issue in our demos apps hosted in https://demos.openvidu.io ?

If you do, please, tell us the exact steps to reproduce the issue and we’ll try to reproduce and fix it.

Another thing important to know is Which iPad and iOS version do you have?

Regards

Hi @CSantosM yes that’s right, I am not using ionic or react-native.

The demos are working for me in both Mac/Firefox and iPad/Safari. But I don’t see an option to unpublish and re-publish while staying in the same session. That seems to be when I have issues in my app. Is there a demo to test that?

Here are my specs…
iPad 7th Gen. iOS 13.5
Safari same version

2016 MacBook Pro macOS 10.13.6
Chrome version 81.0.4044.129
Firefox version 76.0.1

Note, the OpenVidu demos are not working at all for on Mac/Chrome and I’m seeing this in the logs…
OpenVidu Server (2.14.0) and OpenVidu Browser (2.13.0) versions do NOT match. There may be incompatibilities. I just see a loading spinner and no video.

Thanks again.

Also, can you post the .env file used by the demos so I can compare to mine?

You can test openvidu call demo publishing and unpublishing your screen in the same session. We haven’t experienced this kind of problem before so if you can reproduce this problem in our environment, tell us how to reproduce it

Thanks @CSantosM. I’m not able to reproduce the issue in the OpenVidu call demo. So it definitely seems to be something specific to my app. Any ideas what would cause the video to freeze sometimes? I’m not seeing any errors or issues with resources.

Just started the implementation.

Deployed test Demo version on our test server.

And on IPad Pro 2019 13.4.1 it works but the image quality is very low.

Even an iPhone SE has batter quality.

Checked on demo site same issue.

Before openvidu we have checked bbb www.bigbluebutton.com an alotugh it is not a well documented system as openvidu and not so flexible, on ios devices they were able to reach stable and good quality somehow.

Maybe its worth to check their code I think it is node js and react.

Yeap, Bigbluebutton uses Kurento (so in the end same as OpenVidu) under the hood.

Yes, but the video streming quality was way higher sound and picture from my iPad pro and iPhone SE. So they have found the tricky point of ios Safari :confused:

Interesting.

Can you show to us some video recordings of your iPad and IPhone from BBB and from OpenVidu so we can see the different qualities with both systems?

I suppose Chrome and other browsers are working well with both platforms, right?

Hi Micael,

Chrome is not working from IPad.

On pc mozzila and chrome works fine far as i know but there are no mass user tests yet.

I made a few print screen and indicated the streamed picture. :slight_smile:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h148b2Ar77xPTGG7XZkTCA5GDGxbVreM

According to the docs Safari is the only browser support on iOS. Has that changed?

https://docs.openvidu.io/en/2.14.0/troubleshooting/#8-what-platforms-are-supported-by-openvidu

Chrome is not supported because chrome uses a “limited” Safari under the hood without WebRTC support.

There is nothing OpenVidu can do with it.

Right, thanks. I wanted to make sure because you asked if other browsers are working in iOS. Are there other browsers that work in iOS, or just Safari?

Just Safari: https://docs.openvidu.io/en/stable/troubleshooting/#8-what-platforms-are-supported-by-openvidu