Joining as a subscriber only on occasions does not play the video of streams subscribed to

Hello,

I am facing this issue where on a particular reproducible scenario where I reload my page as a user who has joined the meeting as a subscriber only , the videos of the other streams I am subscribed to do not play. However if I either use the video controls on the browser or by dom manipuation, call “play”, those streams start to play. Strangely when I attempt to call .play() from my code on those elements, it still does not play.
This issue does not happen when I am joined as a publisher as well or when I leave and join the meeting. This only happens when I am joined as a subscriber only and when I perform a page reload.

I am on Chrome 92.0.4515.131 running on an M1 Mac and I am using the openvidu-browser library in my react app.

Any suggestions on how I could troubleshoot this ? This issue has been plaguing me for a while.

Thanks
Jai

This issue is likely to be related with autoplay policy.

If you mute the video and it works as expected, then it is definetily an autoplay issue.

Regards

1 Like

You were absolutely correct. I had a follow up question. I had a bug in my app where on some cases we accidentally created 2 openvidu sessions, one that initialized a publisher and the other that just was a subscriber. We had this other issue that would manifest every once in a while where some random person would stop seeing everyone else’s videos. Technically since this user is actively publishing after accepting camera and mic access, they should be able to view the videos subscribed to (albeit in a different session). Could it be that chrome selectively stopped playing videos on the session where the user was not publishing ? Could the browser be aware of that ?
I am trying to kill 2 bugs with one theory here :slight_smile:

Appreciate your help and insight.

That is not possible. So the bug has to be in other place.

1 Like

Thanks. I will keep investigating.