After upgrading to 2.17.0 past recordings do not work

Hello,

Release 2.17.0 comes with an unexpected breaking change. This affects you if these 3 conditions are all fulfilled:

1. You are using the recording feature
  2. You want to upgrade your existing 2.16.0 stack to 2.17.0 (new stacks are NOT affected)
  3. You have existing recordings when performing the upgrade (if there are no recordings when upgrading then this does NOT affect you)

If these 3 conditions are met, after the upgrade recordings won’t be recoverable using REST API (a 500 error will be returned instead).

This affects both OpenVidu CE and OpenVidu PRO (and both normal storage or S3 storage for PRO). If you are experiencing this bug, there is a simple fix. A new 2.17.1 patch version of containers openvidu-server and openvidu-server-pro has been released.

Update the tag in OpenVidu CE (this line) or OpenVidu PRO (this line) at your OpenVidu Server host installation’s path (by default /opt/openvidu/docker-compose.yml) and restart the service with ./openvidu restart

Related GitHub issue: Unable access recordings from inspector after upgrading to v2.17.0 · Issue #615 · OpenVidu/openvidu · GitHub

my openvidu is v.2.17
in spite of updating ‘image: openvidu/openvidu-server-pro:2.18.0-beta2’ on docker-compose.yml,
i can not still record ‘composed type’, individual is ok.

The version with the fix is 2.17.1. Please, use that and confirm recordings are reachable with that version number.

Sorry, I’m not sure how to get the 2.17.1 image onto my EC2 server. I am using the AWS image of OpenVidu CE. I need to upgrade to 2.17.1 from 2.17.0. Can I just use the upgrade instructions at OpenVidu Docs ?

Hi,

It is in fact a very straightforward process.
SSH into your AWS machine (the OpenVidu Server Pro node) and then:

sudo -s (root user)
cd /opt/openvidu (go to OpenVidu installation path)
Modify file docker-compose.yml, updating the tag of openvidu/openvidu-server-pro image from:

image: openvidu/openvidu-server:2.17.0

to

image: openvidu/openvidu-server:2.17.1

And then run ./openvidu restart, at path /opt/openvidu

This will upgrade your openvidu-server-pro to the patched version.